Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) conducted the Osun
Governorship Election on the 22nd day of September, 2018. The election was
declared inconclusive by INEC and a supplementary election was held on the 27th
day of September, 2018in seven (7)polling units in four (4) Local Government
Areas of the State, namely, Osogbo, Orolu, Ife North and Ife South.   Members of the NBA Election Working Group,
who had observed the elections on 22nd September 2018 and had prepared a Report
thereon, were deployed to the affected Local Government Areas to observe the
supplementary elections. OBSERVATION REPORTS; A. OSOGBO; Members of the NBA EWG
arrived at Osogbo polling unit 17, ward 5, at about 7:00am. There was massive
armed security presence with movement around the polling unit restricted to
voters and observers. All the election materials were made available for the
election. The electoral protocols for voting were fulfilled by the electoral
officers at the unit.

and voting commenced at about 8:02am. The voting process went on smoothly till
about 11:30am when some hoodlums invaded the area in an attempt to disrupt the
process. The situation was brought under control by the security personnel
present. In spite of the seeming and subtle form of intimidation, voters were
undaunted as they did cast their votes. There was substantial compliance with
the election process and procedure at the polling units.

OROLU:  The team deployed to observe the
rerun election at Orolu, Ward 8, polling units 1 and 4 and ward 9, polling unit
3, set out for the assignment at about 6:30am. The team’s enthusiasm was
dampened by their harassment and

arrest by mobile policemen en-route Orolu. They were taken before Ali Janga,
Commissioner of Police, at a Police Post. CP Ali Janga is in charge of Kogi
State Police Command. Incidentally, the Secretary of the NBA ad-hoc EWG, Liman
Salihu Esq. the immediate past chairman of the NBA Lokoja Branch, Kogi State,
recognized the CP and showed his Identification Card to him but surprisingly
the CP ordered that the team be taken to the INEC Office.

the INEC office, it took one of our own, Festus Okoye Esq. who is currently the
INEC Commissioner representing South-East Geopolitical Zone, to secure their
release; he also facilitated the team’s movement to Orolu.

road to Orolu is barely motorable and appears to have been recently graded for
the purpose of the election. The location of the polling unit at Ifon Orolu
Kajola was in a farm house inside a thick bush and there was only one
unoccupied residence with a distance of about 80meters from the said polling
unit. The materials for the election arrived on time at the respective units
and voting proper commenced at the stipulated time of 8:00am.

was heavy security presence with about thirty (30) armed Police officials at
Orolu. At about 10:00am, while figuring out how to get to Idiya Polling Unit in
Orolu, four (4) Toyota Hiace buses packed with about fifty (50) fierce looking
men, drove in and the men alighted and walked towards the polling unit without
any PVC in their hands.  In spite of the
heavy security presence of the Nigerian Police, these men were not stopped nor
asked if they were going to vote neither were they asked for their PVCs. This
however aroused our suspicion.

member of the NBA Ad-hoc EWG who attempted a recording of the happenings (a few
seconds was recorded though) was almost attacked by about six (6) of these men.
Surprisingly the Police officials stood aloof and did nothing to stop the
invasion by this group of men. The reason given by the security men (Police
officials) for their inaction was that they could not act without formal
complaints from us.

observation at Orolu was that most of the voters had identification bands on
their left arms and ring bands on their thumbs. Those with the said

bands were allowed access into Orolu while those without the bands were not
allowed access and so could not vote. Although these voters without the bands
displayed their PVCs to the Police men on ground as evidence that they had been
registered to vote at that particular polling unit, the Police personnel
adamantly turned them back and as such they could not exercise their right to
vote. Voters that were allowed to vote without the bands were those who had
arrived earlier before the commencement of voting.

IFE NORTH; Election in Ife North was conducted in a village called Oyere. It
was deep in a forest barely accessible by vehicle and was about two and half
hours from Ile-Ife. There was strong security presence (The Nigerian Police
Force) in and around the polling unit. Our representative observed that on his
way to the polling unit, officials of the Nigerian Police force barricaded the
road alongside some civilians. People were screened before they were allowed to
proceed further; some were beaten because they had their phones with them which
were seized. Some people were allowed to pass the checkpoint, but some others
were turned back.  Although our
representative introduced himself to the security personnel, they merely scoffed
at him.  Our representative, for safety
reasons, had to turn back as he was not given the opportunity to observe the
rerun election at the aforementioned polling unit.


polling unit was at Olode, Adereti Village, Ward Code 16, Polling Unit 12, Area
Code 07, LGA 07. The polling unit was divided into two polling points (polling
unit 12A and 12B). The total number of accredited voters was Eight Hundred and
Twelve (812). Materials arrived at about 7:00am and there was proper display of
ballot papers. INEC provided the requisite materials for the polling unit and
the presiding officer/other Supervisors confirmed they received the full
complement of their materials.  The team
observed that the armed officials (Nigerian Police, Army, Civil Defense Corps,
FRSC, NDLEA) were about 10meters away from the polling booths. Voters turnout
was quite impressive in spite of the rain and there was a good sense of gender
balance.  Party agents present were the
ACD, APGA and APC. There was no representation from the PDP. However, one of
the party

told us in confidence that he had to use another party’s name tag to conceal
his identity as a PDP agent. Voters’ education was duly conducted for voters
present. The voting commenced at about 8:00am. The last voter on the queue cast
his vote at about 12:05pm. The INEC officials waited till 2:00pm before
declaring voting exercise closed. Cancellation of unused ballot papers
commenced immediately while sorting of used ballot papers followed suit.
Thereafter, vote counting, and announcement of election result was done by the
presiding officer. This procedure was done in unit 12A and was repeated in unit

In conclusion the Rerun of the Osun state Gubernatorial Election fell far short
of a free and fair election compared to what transpired in the election of the
22ndday of September, 2018 in Osun State which was however declared
inconclusive. From the actions and inactions of the Nigerian Police Force they
appeared to have been compromised given the fact that the Police did not
question the activities of the about fifty (50) fierce-looking men who invaded
the area at Orolu. 

1. Polling Stations sited in the bush or where less than 20 residential places
or houses which are not within a minimum of 50meters radius, should be relocated
in future elections.  Illustrative
example is the above-mentioned polling units at Orolu.

There should be proper sensitization, training and orientation programs for all
security personnel deployed for election purpose. A special unit should be
established within the security agencies for election purpose and other civil

E. Tawo SAN